Monroe County Hospital & Clinics is a trusted provider of high quality, local health care. At Monroe County Hospital & Clinics, we strive to be a premier employer, known for our strong commitment to high employee satisfaction scores while offering competitive salary and benefit packages. Monroe County Hospital & Clinics employs 185 team members and is proud to be called a Top 150 Workplace by the Des Moines Register three years in a row.
Monroe County Hospital & Clinics is seeking a full-time Medical Laboratory Technician/Medical Technologist to join our team. This position serves as a generalist.
Primary duties for this position include:
- Conducts venipuncture and specimen collection. Venipuncture is performed in the correct tubes using sterile technique.
- Performs automated hematology, coagulation, and chemistry testing. Operates machinery and recognizes problems. Correct pre-analysis for samples.
- Documents quality controls for each test. Documents corrective action taken on quality control and manufacturer’s information when controls do not meet expected values.
- Performs maintenance and troubleshooting of instrumentation, methodologies, or technique when machinery or quality controls fail. Follows information from manufacturer’s technical support to solve instrumentation problems.
- Uses understanding of disease states and metabolic disorders to correlate results and communicate medical results. Recognizes critical values and possible errors related to testing. Uses computer to transmit results.
- Performs manual testing involving the use of higher-order thinking skills. Makes manual dilutions, blood banking, microscopic urinalysis, and manual differentials.
- Maintains adequate records of all procedures performed. Work is dated and initialed and evidence of corrective action is clearly documented.
- Conducts EKGs and Holter monitors. Demonstrates the proper hook up of equipment.
- Operates independently and recognizes additional duties, such as filing and cleaning, that require completion.
- Understands that all functions are part of the work experience and duties are shared equally as possible with other staff members regardless of tenure or status.
- Recognizes the importance of accuracy in all aspects of the job.
- Maintains patient and hospital confidentiality.
- Assists with quality improvement activities.
- Regular and reliable attendance.
- Ongoing compliance with MCHC educational and training requirements.
- Adheres to the MCHC mission, vision, values, and Standards of Behavior.
- Promotes and maintains positive relationships with patients, visitors, coworkers, and providers.
- Actively participates in department huddles, in-services, meetings, and educational opportunities.
- Follows all departmental policies and procedures and adheres to departmental budget.
- Associates Degree in a natural science or equivalent.
- BLS and Mandatory Reporter certified or within 90 days of hire.
- Overall attention to detail, organizational ability, and ability to prioritize.
- The ability to work in teams and communicate accurately and clearly.
- Computer experience using Microsoft Office 2007 Excel, Word and Outlook.
- Proficient in English in order to communicate with patients, families, and other caregivers.
Preferred Education and Experience
- Current and unrestricted MLT or MT certification preferred.
- Experience in a healthcare setting preferred.
Monroe County Hospital & Clinics offers an excellent benefits package including but not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- Health Savings Account
- Flexible Spending Accounts and Dependent Care Accounts
- Allstate Voluntary Insurance Plans
- Life Insurance
- Generous PTO Package
Pre-employment drug screening and DCI checks required. E.O.E
Full-time Days: Monday – Thursday 6:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and On Call
Monroe County Hospital & Clinics, 6580 165th St Albia, IA 52531
Phone: (641) 932-1756 | Fax: (641) 932-1671 | Web: www.mchalbia.com