Monroe County Hospital & Clinics is a trusted provider of high quality, local health care. At Monroe County Hospital & Clinics, we strive to be a premier employer, known for our strong commitment to high employee satisfaction scores while offering competitive salary and benefit packages. Monroe County Hospital & Clinics employs 190 team members and is proud to be called a Top 150 Workplace by the Des Moines Register five years in a row. In 2020, Monroe County Hospital & Clinics was ranked the #1 Top workplace in the mid-size category!
Due to a promotion Monroe County Hospital & Clinics is seeking a full-time Registered Nurse to join our Surgical team.
Primary duties for this position include:
- Assures that all instruments and equipment are cleaned, sterilized and ready for surgery.
- Sets up the surgery suite. Assures that supplies are available as needed.
- Assists with various surgical procedures, under the direction of the surgeon, assisting physician, and operating nurse.
- Accounts for all needles, sponges, and instruments used in the procedure.
- Assures correct sorting and checking of surgical linen supply.
- Assembles instrument and procedure packs and trays and maintains an adequate supply of each.
- Ability to function in central sterile to sterilize items according to policy concerning manufacturer and sterilizer recommendations.
- Conducts preoperative patient teaching with the patient per policy.
- Contact patient’s insurance to receive prior authorization for procedures as necessary.
- Prepares the patient for surgery, including verification that an history and physical has been done according to policy, providing patient transportation, and assisting the certified registered nurse anesthetists (CRNA) and surgeon.
- Performs the pre-surgery check, verifies that all waivers and releases have been signed, and positions the patient.
- Assist with gowning scrubbed personnel. Assists surgeon, CRNA, and scrub nurse as needed, including IV preparation, intubation, connection of monitors and tubing, draping the patient, and obtaining supplies.
- Monitors patient condition. Tracks blood loss and other relevant information.
- Maintains sterile field and asepsis.
- Assures that all documentation is completed is completed in a timely manner, including charges, logging and signatures.
- Assures safety of patient from the surgical suite to recovery, same day surgery (SDS) or to the medical surgical floor. Provides SDS and/or receiving personnel with a report on each patient per policy.
- Scrubs for cases as needed, maintaining sterile field.
- Works recovery room, providing appropriate care.
- In the SDS, receives patients from recovery. Provides timely and pleasant responses to patient needs. Provides discharge instruction to each patient. Arranges transportation for every discharge from SDS to the hospital entrance. Documents are required.
- Conducts follow up phone calls to discharged patient after discharge to determine needs or questions.
- Actively involved in working with operating team to improve patient satisfaction, reduce variations in clinical care and outcomes, and to meet budgetary guidelines.
- Ability to work in same day surgery, but also be able to circulate when needed.
- Regular and reliable attendance.
- Ongoing compliance with MCHC educational and training requirements.
- Adheres to the MCHC mission, vision, values, and Standards of Behavior.
- Maintains patient and hospital confidentiality.
- Promotes and maintains positive relationships with patients, visitors, coworkers, and providers.
- Actively participates in department huddles, in-services, meetings, and educational opportunities.
- Follows all departmental policies and procedures and adheres to departmental budget.
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Graduate of an accredited school of nursing.
- Current and unrestricted licensure as a registered nurse by the Iowa Board of Nursing.
- Basic life support (BLS) and Mandatory Reporting Certified or within 90 days of hire.
- Advanced cardiac life support (ACLS) and pediatric advanced life support (PALS) certified within one year of hire.
- Overall attention to detail, organizational ability, and ability to prioritize.
- The ability to work in teams and communicate accurately and clearly.
- Computer experience using Microsoft Office 2007 Excel, Word and Outlook.
- Proficient in English in order to communicate with patients, families, and other caregivers.
Preferred Education and Experience
- Surgical setting experience.
- Scrub experience.
Monroe County Hospital & Clinics offers an excellent benefits package including but not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- Health Savings Account
- Flexible Spending Accounts and Dependent Care Accounts
- Guardian Voluntary Insurance Plans
- Life Insurance
- Generous PTO Package
Pre-employment drug screening and DCI checks required. E.O.E
Full-time: Days, 36 hours per week with one night of on-call per week and no weekends.
Monroe County Hospital & Clinics, 6580 165th St Albia, IA 52531
Phone: (641) 932-1756 | Fax: (641) 932-1671 | Web: www.mchalbia.com