Advance Care Planning (ACP)
First Steps® Facilitator Certification
The Your Choice Advance Care Planning Project provides First Steps ACP Facilitator training. First Steps ACP Facilitator Certification is intended for healthcare providers (nurses, all levels of social workers, health educators, and physicians), clergy, nursing facility staff, hospice workers and those who have an interest in starting conversations about advance care planning. Funding for this training is provided by HRSA and is no cost to you.
- 7:30 a.m. – Sign In and Breakfast
- 8:00 – Welcome and Overview
- 8:30 – The Personal Engagement Activity
- 8:45 – First Steps ACP Conversation Guide (for adults who have not started, or engaged in, a planning process) – Facilitation Skills
- First Steps ACP Conversation Guide: Healthcare agent not present
- 9:15 – Break
- 9:30 – First Steps ACP Conversation Guide: Healthcare agent present
- 10:30 – Practice Exercise Role-Play 1 and Group Debrief
- 11:20 – First Steps ACP Conversation Guide: Adults with Chronic Illness (for adults who have not started, or engaged in, a planning process) – Facilitation Skills
- 12:00 p.m. – Lunch
- 12:45 – Practice Exercise Role-Play 2 and Group Debrief
- 1:30 – First Steps ACP Conversation Guide: The CPR Conversation
- 2:00 – Break
- 2:15 – Practice Exercise Role-Play 3 and Group Debrief
- 2:30 – Summary of the First Steps Conversation – Promise #5: Honoring Preferences and Decisions
- 2:50 – Final Competency Role-Play (work in groups of four; 15-minutes/Facilitator)
- 3:50 – Summary
- 4:00 – Adjourn
The purpose of this program is to assist participants in learning effective communication and conversation skills for person-centered ACP facilitation.
1. First Steps ACP Facilitator Online Curriculum; modules 1-4 *CEUs available*
2. Personal Engagement Activity
3. Review of Advance Directive document appropriate for your organization/community.
At the end of this course, the participant will be able to:
1. Identify communication skills for Facilitating First Steps ACP conversations.
2. Create strategies to transfer individual goals, values, and preferences to the written plan.
3. Demonstrate beginning competency in facilitating First Steps ACP conversations through role-play activities.
4. Become certified as a First Steps ACP Facilitator through final competency role-play demonstration.
If you are interested in becoming a Certified Facilitator, please contact us below
This project is supported by the Health Resources & Services Administration (HRSA) of the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services (HHS) under grant number D04RH31790, Empowering Patients through Advance Care Planning, for $598,589.00. This information or content and conclusions are those of the author and should not be construed as the official position or policy of, nor should any endorsements be inferred by HRSA, HHS or the U.S. Government. For more information, please visit HRSA.gov.