The physicians of Monroe County Hospital & Clinics will be honored Wednesday, March 30th during National Doctors’ Day. This annual event recognizes the significant accomplishments of physicians – from prevention of a disease to the saving of a human life. Their daily acts of compassion are to be praised and acknowledged.
MCHC wishes to extend its deep gratitude and appreciation to the physicians’ long hours and dedication to the care of the people in our community. National Doctors’ Day gives us the opportunity to say ‘thank you’ for their personal commitment to their patients.
In appreciation, MCHC has created thank you cards for patients to fill out. These cards are located at the hospital and clinics lobbies. The hospital would like to encourage anyone who would like to share their gratitude for the care they have received from their physician, to fill out one of these cards. The cards will be delivered to each physician on Doctors’ Day, March 30th.
About National Doctors’ Day
The first Doctors’ Day observance was held on March 30, 1933, by the Barrow County Alliance, in Winder, Georgia. The idea of setting aside a day to honor physicians was conceived by Eudora Brown Almond, wife of Dr. Charles B. Almond. The day was first celebrated on the anniversary of the first administration of anesthesia by Dr. Crawford W. Long in Barrow County, Georgia, in 1842. The Alliance immediately adopted a resolution that March 30, be adopted as ‘Doctors’ Day,’ the object to be the well-being and honor of the profession, its observance demanding some act of kindness, gift or tribute in remembrance of the Doctors. Over the years following overwhelming approval by the United States Senate and the House of Representatives, on October 30, 1990, President George Bush signed S.J. RES. #366 (which became Public Law 101-473) designating March 30 as “National Doctors’ Day”: The first observance of Doctors’ Day started with mailing of cards to the physicians and their wives, flowers placed on graves of deceased doctors, including Dr. Long, and ended with a formal dinner in the home of Dr. and Mrs. William T. Randolph. Through the years, the red carnation has evolved into a symbol of Doctors’ Day.