Career Goal My career goal is to be a lifelong learner. Professionally I want to strive for excellence both in my knowledge base, and in my delivery of patient care. I take a lot of joy in getting to know my patients and helping them and their families through a difficult time in their lives. I look for ways not only to treat illness but also take care of the entire person. I want each patient to leave a visit feeling like they gained something; whether it is appropriate treatment, information, or maybe even just feeling like someone took the time to listen.
- Jan 1999-May 2002: Mount Mercy University, Cedar Rapids, Iowa – Bachelors in Science and Nursing. Graduated in the top 10% of my class.
- August 2010-December 2012: University of South Alabama (USA) – Mobile, Alabama Masters in Science and Nursing – Adult and Geriatric Primary care Nurse Practitioner. Member of Phi Kappa Phi – top 10% of graduate students at USA
- Credentialed through the American Nurses Credentialing center as an Adult and Geriatric Primary Care Nurse Practitioner since March 1st, 2013
May 2016- Present
ARNP| Flex APP Supervisor| Medical Oncology & Hematology Associates
- Cover night and weekend call for the practice including inpatient and outpatient phone calls.
- Provide extensive chemo teaching to patients brand new to chemo, including side effect management and when to call.
- Complete survivorship interviews with patients who have completed curative therapy to review treatment received, discuss late and long term side effects, and review clinic follow up plan.
- Complete routine office visits for patients on active therapy in order to manage treatment related toxicities, monitor for response to therapy, and also complete acute visits for acutely ill oncologic and hematology patients.
June 2013 – May 2016
ARNP | Internal Medicine | The Iowa Clinic
- Evaluate and treat adult and geriatric patients with acute and chronic illnesses.
- Counsel patients about health promotional activities and preventative care.
- Educate patients about general health, wellness, and pharmacologic therapies.
April 2009- June 2013
Lung Cancer Care Coordinator | John Stoddard Cancer Center
- Provide education and support to cancer patients and their families.
- Monitor side effects related to cancer treatment and collaborate with Multidisciplinary team appropriate interventions.
- Facilitate Lung Cancer Multidisciplinary team meetings to enhance patient care.
September 2003-April 2009
Staff RN | Medical Oncology and Hematology Associates
- Assess patients and help with the management of side effects related to cancer treatment.
- Educate patients and their families about their diagnosis, treatment, common side effects, and common lab values.
- Collaborate with patients and physicians to achieve optimum symptom management to promote and maintain high quality of life.
- Mixing and administering chemotherapy and growth factors to patients as directed by their physician.
Travel to outreach clinics with multiple physicians to provide all of the above to patients in rural communities
June 2002 – September 2003
Staff RN | Powell 3 | Iowa Methodist Medical Center
- Manage care of acutely ill oncology patients with chemotherapy administration as well as blood products, antibiotics, etc.
- Working with physicians and other health care professionals to provide holistic high quality care for cancer patients and their families.
- Educate patients about their diagnosis and treatment.
Prior Experience Darcy worked as a critical care nurse at Ottumwa Regional Health Center, Iowa Methodist Medical Center, Mercy Medical Center-Centerville. She has been a Nurse Practitioner since 2016. Darcy worked at Chariton Valley Medical Center prior to joining Monroe County Hospital & Clinics.
Certification(s) Board Certified Family Nurse Practitioner (FNP)